Spiralized Summer Squash & Pesto
Do you honestly get 4-5 servings of veggies a day? That is the daily recommendation from The American Heart Association. Unless you are making a conscious effort, it can be tough. Have you heard of the spiralizer? This fantastic kitchen toy can really make it easy to get your daily dose of veggies; plus decrease the amount of refined carbohydrates you are eating. Let me tell you, I am 100% in love with the spiralizer! Come over for dinner and you are probably going to get spiralizer…
Here is one of my personal favorite, easy recipes. I hope you enjoy!
Note: HERE is the spiralizer I have. If you are really crafty, you can use a potato peeler to make noodles out of veggies.
Spiralized Summer Squash & Pesto (Serving 3)
– 2 medium sized, zucchini, spiralized
– 2 medium sized, yellow squash, spiralized
– 1/2 white onion, chopped
– 3-4 cups spinach
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
– 1 tablespoon coconut oil
– Red pepper flakes (optional for topping)
– 2 cups fresh basil
– 2 cups kale
– 1 cup cold pressed olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 avocado (optional)
– 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (for dairy free) OR 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (a little extra for topping)
– 1/2 tablespoon salt
– Pepper to taste
– 1/2 lemon juiced
– 1/4 cup pine nuts (save a little for topping)
1. After washing your summer squash, cut off the ends and spiralize it using a spiralizer or potato peeler.
2. Make your pesto: combine all ingredients in high power blender or food processor and blend to desired texture.
3. In large fry pan, over medium heat, coat pan with coconut oil. Place chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Place summer squash and pesto in pan, mix well, cover and allow to heat for 5 minutes. Then add tomatoes and spinach, stirring occasionally. Cook until desired temperature and texture.
4. Serve with red pepper flakes (optional), pine nuts, nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese over top.
Note: Are you an O blood type and need your meat? Add in chicken sausage.
Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Would you like more clean recipes? Are you looking to prioritize YOUR health and move into spring feeling light? Join us for a 30-day Clean LIVING challenge, starting May 2nd, 2016. What is clean living? A balanced and whole approach to health: clean eating, movement and meditation. Learn more HERE #cleanliving30